Munching on Nostalgia: AAPI childhood snacks

Aya Takase-Songui
SAVOR THE FLAVOR: Sophomore Sooho Cho and junior Allen Wen compare the unique chip flavors at H Mart for a savory treat after a long day at school. For many families and friends, sharing and receiving snacks are acts of love, care and connection.

For many AAPI communities, childhood snacks are a source of comfort, familiarity and nostalgia that bring family and friends together through a mouthwatering medium. As AAPI Heritage Month draws to a close, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most iconic AAPI snacks to check out during your next snack haul.

Pocky:

A member of the AAPI snacks’ Mount Rushmore, this crunchy, (usually) chocolate-covered biscuit stick can satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth. Since its debut in 1966, Pocky has grown to dominate the snack industry globally. Don’t just take our word for it; Pocky was one of the 10 things Chinese-Canadian actor Simu Liu said he couldn’t live without during an interview with GQ.

“I remember my grandma taking my sister and me to the 99 Ranch Market to choose out a snack,” sophomore Leanna Lo said. “We’d always choose Pocky because of the variety of flavors and the fact that there are so many sticks in one package, so we wouldn’t fight over splitting it.”

White Rabbit:

In many Chinese households, this candy is a staple that has been enjoyed for generations. Its uniquely rich and creamy flavor seems to bring many Chinese people back to summer breaks during their childhood. Over the years, White Rabbit candies have become a cultural symbol of youth for many Chinese communities worldwide. Recently, select Costco locations across the U.S. have even begun selling White Rabbit-flavored ice cream.

“When I graduated from elementary school in China, I remembered that our teachers passed out White Rabbit candies and told us about its cultural significance as it was a rare treat that people cherished during a time of scarce resources,” senior Ken Wen said. “After moving to the U.S., I always feel a sense of nostalgia and home when I see the iconic White Rabbit logo.”

Shrimp crackers:

No matter what brand of shrimp crackers you might have in your cabinet, their distinctly umami flavor will never fail to leave you craving more. These crackers can be found in almost any grocery store, making them a convenient and tasty option next time you need a salty relationship-healer or remedy for stress.

“Shrimp crackers have always been a favorite in my house not only for myself, but for my brothers as well,” junior Jimmy Chen said. “I remember that we used to share a pack of shrimp crackers during summer gaming sessions, and this snack reminds me of those relaxing summer afternoons.”

Chakli:

Chakli, a deep-fried, spicy, spiral-shaped snack, is a popular Indian snack typically made from various rice and gram flours. Since many families have their own recipes for chakli, its taste can change drastically from home to home. For example, adjusting the proportions and types of flours can affect the chakli’s crispiness while varying the spices can alter its flavor profile. 

“I am a picky eater, but when it comes to chakli, the simple savory taste leaves me wanting more,” freshman Trisha Kolur said. “People’s shared love of the savory snack has definitely brought different communities together.”

Arare:

Originally a Japanese snack, arare has become a pantry staple for many families across the Pacific Islands, especially in Hawaii. These bite-sized rice crackers, typically made from glutinous rice flour and shoyu (soy sauce), were first introduced in Hawaii by Japanese immigrants who primarily came as sugar plantation workers in the early 1900s. Over time, locals began combining arare with salty, buttery popcorn, furikake (dried seaweed flakes) and other unique ingredients, giving birth to one of Hawaii’s signature snacks: Hurricane Popcorn.