Enjoying the end of high school with senior events

Ashley Wang
SENIOR CELEBRATION: (Left to right) Seniors Izabel Vicente, Esma Hurmali and Lena Hussain laugh together while cheering on their friends completing the bounce house obstacle course at the senior barbecue after school.

Seniors celebrated the end of high school through class bonding events held throughout April and June. 

Prom, organized by Junior Class Council, as well as the senior trip and barbecue hosted by Senior Class Council, were held to provide seniors with activities to look forward to during their last months at Northwood. 

“We hope to encourage unity in our class as we had our freshmen year in COVID,” class president senior Cynthia Nakano said. “Senior events really bond the relationship you already have and allow you to get to know other people you might have wanted to by everyone experiencing something together.” 

Approximately 300 seniors were in attendance for the senior trip held at Universal Studios on April 25, which was decided through a grade-wide vote. 

“It was my first time at Universal and probably my favorite event of high school since it’s one of the last,” senior Lena Hussain said. “We were able to go on all the rides we wanted, and it was pretty cool to be exploring the park and bumping into friends from school in a carefree and fun environment.”

In addition to the senior trip, the Senior Class Council organized the senior barbeque on May 24 with new activities such as bracelet making and a bounce house with obstacles for seniors to complete. Seniors were also given early access to their yearbooks.

Along with grade specific activities, seniors also attended their last prom, “A Seaside Serenade,” held at the Dana Point Ocean Institution on May 18. Prom included a photobooth, smores station, bonfire and the opportunity to explore different exhibits at the institution. 

As graduation approaches, senior breakfast will be held on June 4, with breakfast provided and nostalgic games planned, according to ASB. Seniors also have their last upcoming event, Grad Nite at Disney California Adventure Park, which will happen the day after graduation and be hosted by PTSA.

“The people I spent it with were what made it memorable,” senior Lindsay Tarlton said. “We’re all going off to college next year or have different plans, so having senior events to celebrate the years we all went through together and that it’s almost over is really special.”