2024 is NUTS for pistachios

Rhea Gupta
EXPLORING THE PISTACHIO WORLD: The dessert possibilities are endless with pistachios.

Filled with decadent pistachio spread and toasted knafeh, a sweet and flakey Arabic dessert, the pistachio chocolate bar exclusive to Dubai has taken over the world. With the rise in popularity of this pistachio dessert, the internet has found a new affection for pistachios. Here are some ways to bring this internet sensation to your own kitchen.

Pistachio Chocolate Bar, the quick way:

To make your own pistachio chocolate bar, gather ½ cup of either milk or dark chocolate chips. Heat the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl with ½ tablespoon of coconut oil for 30-second intervals while stirring vigorously. If you have knafeh available in your kitchen, toast the package of knafeh with one tablespoon of butter until golden brown. 

Separately, using a mortar and pestle, grind up ½ cup of pistachios, adding in two tablespoons of white sugar as you bring the mixture to a paste-like consistency. If the mixture remains powder-like, add a spoonful of milk. Optionally, crush some cardamom into the pistachio mixture to enhance the flavor of the dessert. 

Pour your melted chocolate into a silicone mold, tapping the mold to get rid of air bubbles and spread the chocolate in a thin layer evenly. Place the mold into the freezer for about five minutes until solid. Spoon the pistachio mixture into the mold and then flatten it out with a spoon, cover the mold with the rest of your melted chocolate. Then place the mold into the freezer for 10 minutes until frozen solid.

No-churn pistachio ice cream:

In a food processor or blender, blend one cup of pistachios until a smooth paste is formed. Combine this pistachio butter with one can of sweetened condensed milk, and optionally, one dash of vanilla extract. Stir this thoroughly until combined. In a separate bowl, add two cups of heavy whipping cream and using a hand mixer, mix until stiff peaks form. Fold the pistachio mixture into the whipped cream mixture and combine using a spatula. 

Line a baking pan with parchment paper and pour the whipped cream and pistachio mixture in. Smooth out the top and sprinkle crushed pistachios before placing the dessert into the freezer for a minimum of six hours. Once ready, leave the ice cream out for 20 minutes to make serving easier.

Pistachio as a dessert topping:

Pistachios are versatile dessert toppings and are commonly used in Indian desserts like jalebis, kulfis and mango lassi. To prepare this topping, chop up pistachios finely using a knife. You can also chop up other nuts, such as cashews or almonds and mix them with the crushed-up pistachios for better variety. Store this dessert topping in an airtight glass jar and pull it out to top off any dessert.