MAKING WAVES: In a match against El Toro High School, varsity water polo captain senior Gavin Dang aims to score, putting his team ahead in the game and securing a landslide 20-1 victory
Kailey Yeo

Boys water polo is swimming to success

Amid a season filled with late-night practices and the need to adapt to a revamped roster, the boys water polo team has kept their heads above the water and are hard at work in preparation for their first league game on Sept. 26.

Despite the graduation of many key players last year, the team has high expectations for this season.

“This year’s team has a lot of potential,” varsity captain senior Dean Witt said. “With our main scorers graduating, everyone else has been forced to step up and fill the hole. We’ve had setbacks, but I have faith that, in the end, we’ll be a formidable team.”

Due to pool renovations, none of the team’s home games will be played at Northwood. Along with losing their traditional home court advantage, the team has to adjust their strategy to play at different pools.

“It’s a major disadvantage because a lot of the pools we play in aren’t super large like the pools we’re used to playing in,” varsity player junior Brandon Bui said. “Those smaller pools put us at a disadvantage because we’re a stamina and endurance-based team, so the shorter pools force us to change the playstyle we’re used to.”

Pool practices have also been moved to nighttime at Portola High School. As guests at Portola’s pool, head coach Kyle Kim-E said that the team has to accommodate Portola’s practice times and lost flexibility in practice schedules as a result. Regardless, players have adapted well to the changes.

“Having practices at Portola has been a big adjustment for us,” varsity player senior Noah Villanueva said. “But having our teammates there is what’s most important, so we’ve still been able to make it feel like home.”

Without access to the pool at Northwood, the focus of morning practices has shifted toward weight training and film study.

“I think athletes persevere by getting used to it as a routine,” Kim-E said. “We rarely take mornings off, and even if we had a game the night before, we’re back in the weight room the next morning. I continually stress the importance of our morning workouts, and all of the boys see the results of those workouts in practices and in games.”

With changes to the program every year, veteran players often step up to help their team through difficulties and maintain unity.

“Our consistency over the years reflects our strong foundation and the work everyone has put in,” varsity captain senior Gavin Dang said. “As a senior, I’ve seen firsthand how our long-standing connections translate into more effective teamwork and performance in the pool.”

The team believes that this chemistry is critical to their success.

During their annual boat race tradition at the end of summer, players took a break from their intensive week of conditioning called “Hell Week” to bond as a team.

“I think the boat races bring the team together,” Dang said. “It’s the one activity in ‘Hell Week’ that we all like, because we get to collaborate when we make the boat and we have a lot of fun.”

According to Kim-E, having a successful season depends on both the players and coaches.

“Each year, our team has different expectations and goals,” Kim-E said. “As a coach, it’s my job to adapt to who we have and develop a system that works for us in order to achieve those goals.”

Come out to support boys water polo at Portola High School for their Senior Night home game on Oct.10.