Charter Oak

Miranda Wu, Managing Editor

Northwood students were recognized at the Charter Oak Awards Ceremony and the Distinguished Timberwolf Awards Ceremony for their academic achievements and public service contributions during the 2018-2019 school year. 

For the Charter Oak Awards, students were nominated by their teachers to receive Academic Excellence or Merit Awards for one or more of their classes. Award recipients gathered with family and friends in the Northwood theater on Tuesday, April 23 to celebrate their achievements.

“The Charter Oak is our main academic awards program, so it’s intended to recognize students who have performed exceptionally well in the classroom,” Northwood Principal Leslie Roach said. “These students are major contributors to the learning environment on campus.”

The ceremony kicked off with a performance by Northwood Jazz Band and an introductory speech by Roach. Students were then called to the stage and recognized in order of discipline, ranging from World Languages to Mathematics. 

“It was really rewarding to see four years of learning a language pay off through the Charter Oaks,” senior Ashley Magpali said, after receiving an award for Honors Spanish 4. “I was really honored to be recognized on stage alongside my amazing peers.”

Northwood teachers also joined families and students in honoring Distinguished Timberwolf recipients on Tuesday, May 14. 

Distinguished Timberwolves honors leaders in Northwood’s student body, as well as those who have been offered scholarships this year. “It’s a great way to acknowledge students for their hard work in academics, fine arts, clubs and other Northwood associations,” ASB Academics Commissioner senior Kaylee Nguyen, who organized the event, said. 

Leaders of clubs and student organizations such as Science Olympiad and Yearbook were recognized during the ceremony, along with various scholarship-receiving seniors and Teachers of the Year history teacher Emily Renner-Rhodarmer and mathematics teacher Lisa Schneider.

“It’s great that we have an awards ceremony like Distinguished Timberwolves mainly celebrating student service and core values,” senior Sofia Howard said. “I really appreciate the school’s efforts towards recognizing student contributions outside of the classroom.”

Although the 2019 Charter Oak and Distinguished Timberwolves were the last Northwood award ceremonies for seniors like Howard, current freshmen, sophomores and juniors can look forward to the 2020 ceremonies celebrating yet another year of excellence and merit across campus.